Salted Caramel Porridge
I usually do my workouts first thing and if I can’t jump in to the shower straightaway, then a bowl of porridge is a great way to warm myself up again and refuel. So if you get up early enough then this one would also be great fuel before a heavy workout or long run because it has dates in as well as the oats. A real powerhouse of a breakfast.
It is great on its own but if you want a bit extra then just add some caramelised banana slices too.
- 100g oats
- 550g hemp milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
- 3 Medjoul dates, chopped
- 1 tbsp Maca powder
- 1 tbsp Fruit Syrup or Agave
- Pinch of salt
- Banana (optional)
- 1 tsp oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp syrup or coconut sugar (optional)
- Put everything into a small pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy.
- If you want to add the caramelized bananas then heat the oil in a frying pan, add the syrup or sugar and finally the banana slices. Cook on quite a high heat until soft then flip over and cook on the other side. Serve on top of the porridge with some squares of chocolate for real decadence!
Nutrition Notes: per serving: ¼ of recipe
330 calories, 7g protein, 65g carbs, 7g fiber, 6g fat